What is a nurse practitioner and how are they different from doctors?
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse who has completed advanced education and training in the diagnosis, treatment and management of common and chronic illnesses.
Doctors and nurse practitioners are similar in they both diagnose, treat and manage acute and chronic diseases, order and interpret labs and diagnostic tests, and prescribe medications.
Nurse practitioners are able to do much of the primary care that can be done by a family doctor. There are some medications, specialized tests and form completions that will require a physician be involved.
Why do doctors and nurse practitioners differ?
Doctors and nurse practitioners are different in how they are educated and in their philosophical approach to care.
Doctors are typically in school longer than nurse practitioners and their focus is on the study of disease. Nurse practitioners are usually already experienced registered nurses when they undertake their advanced clinical practice – and they have a focus on overall health and wellbeing.
While nurse practitioners care for patients in all aspects of their lives, some doctors choose to practice specialities based on their expert knowledge of diseases.
The care and knowledge of doctors and nurse practitioners overlaps and is complementary, but each has a core expertise that is distinct and unique.
Nurse practitioners make ideal primary care providers because of their holistic approach, which emphasizes health education and preventive care.
About Wello Nurse Practitioners
Here are some of the ways our wonderful Wello Nurse Practitioners can help you and your family.
- Promoting healthy lifestyles: From helping you improve your diet to creating a workable exercise regime, a Wello Nurse Practitioner can guide and support you and your family to live your healthiest life.
- Holistic approach to health care: Rather than just treating your symptoms, Wello Nurse Practitioners look at how your lifestyle, diet and other health problems could be impacting your wellbeing.
- Diagnostic Testing: When you need additional tests to determine a condition, disease or illness, Wello Nurse Practitioners can order x-rays, CT and MRI scans, nerve studies, ultrasounds, and specialized radiology, when appropriate.
- Health care advice: Wello Nurse Practitioners can give you personalized health care advice on a huge range of problems–– from finding the best way to sleep with an earache to treating your newborn’s first cold.
- Urgent care: A Wello Nurse Practitioner can treat everything from skin rashes, asthma and allergies, to minor wounds and concussions, to serious infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. They also provide prescription refills.
- Post-hospital care: Wello Nurse Practitioners will help you get back on your feet after your surgery or stint in the hospital.
- Specialist referrals: If something is troubling you that falls outside a Wello Nurse Practitioner’s expertise, they’ll give you the referral to get the specialist care you need when it’s appropriate.
- Prenatal advice: Whether it’s your first child or your fifth, our Wello Nurse Practitioners can provide health advice to support you before and during a pregnancy.
Get well, stay well with Wello
As a Wello member, our nurse practitioners are here for you! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on (403) 648-2120 to book an appointment.